Monday, March 3, 2008

I've Been Tagged!

Most of you bloggers know the variety of ways you can be tagged. They all require you to do something (usually answering some questions that tell something about yourself), and then pass it on. Melissa, a friend, neighbor, and fellow teacher, tagged me with this one:

Here are the Rules of the Tag:
1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next five sentences.
5. Tag five people.

Sadly, I didn’t get Melissa’s tag when I was enjoying my week off of school and doing some reading for fun. I’m back to reading for school (which, of course, was the nearest book). So, I’m back to being boring again! On the other hand, a lot of my blog readers are also educators, so you may actually like it. Or not. Here goes…

My book:
Psychology of Learning for Instruction

My five sentences:
By 1978, Ausubel had adopted the label assimilation theory to describe the meaningful learning processes of subsumption, superordinate learning, and combinatorial learning. In earlier versions of the theory, assimilation referred primarily to the process of retention, whereby new information tends to be reduced to (or assimilated by) the meaning of the stable, more established anchoring idea. Although Ausubel’s notions of what happens in retention changed little, which will be discussed in the next section, he came to use the concept of assimilation more broadly. Taking together learning and retention, “The result of the interaction that takes place between the new material to be learned and the existing cognitive structure is an assimilation of old and new meanings to form a more highly differentiated cognitive structure.”

SHEESH! That’s only four sentences! Someone needs to work on being a little more concise in their writing! Did you get all of that? That’s the end of that section, so I won’t torture you with a fifth sentence. We’ll call it good there.

I tag Kristin, Laurel, Martina, Cindy, and Blake (since you were excited to visit my blog to see my 1987 picture, anyway). PLEASE find more entertaining books than mine! I’ll get Melissa back when the next tagging game comes around. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was......stunning....? I do NOT miss reading stuff like that! I would find that my eyes would move across the page but the words sure didn't go in! I'm sure you'll breathe a sigh of relief when you're all done (so hurry up already!!!)

Anonymous said...

I think mine is only slightly more interesting than yours. LOL!
Title: Cherry Cheesecake Murder
FYI:About the owner (Hannah)of a bakery shop who solves crimes. In each chapter there is a different recipe. Page 123 just happens to be the tail end of the recipe for Cherry Cheesecake. : )
"Spread the cherry pie filling over the sour cream topping on your cheesecake. You can drizzle a littledown the sides if you wish. Hannah's Note: I've made this cheesecake with other fillings including blueberry apple raspberry and even lemon. It's wonderful with any one you choose. Mother says you have to serve this cheesecake with strong coffee--it's just to rich to eath without something to sip."
Yes...I know....it's fluff. But I have to have some fluff every now and then. This was neat! Thanks for the tag! Love, Blake

Melanie said...

Thanks for playing, Blake, Kristin & Martina! Your books were definitely more exciting than mine! (I'm glad you're enjoying the book, Martina.) :)