Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cool News from Hawaii

So, really, this is my friend Kevin’s cool news. But since: 1 – so many of you know Kevin, and 2 – he is so humble that he only sent this to FOUR people, I’m taking it upon myself to spread the word. Feel free to congratulate him when you talk with him next. :)

Kevin sent me this e-mail tonight:


Aloha!

Well, I finished my big race Saturday. It was called the Run to the Sun, on Maui, and it started at sea level (the Maui Mall in Kahului) and finished 36.4 miles later at the top of Haleakala crater, 10,023 feet above sea level.

This was my first "ultra marathon," so I was a bit nervous as to how I'd do. I'd also never been to Maui before, and hadn't seen 10,000 feet since I'd lived in Colorado many years ago. My goal was to finish in 8 hours or so, and have fun.

To make a long story short, I did much better than that, and actually won the race! I finished in 5 hours 28 minutes and 38 seconds, which is the best finishing time in 13 years, they tell me. I beat the second-place finisher by 40 minutes.

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/501531.html?nav=11

http://kaleo.info/2008/03/19/laie-man-wins-run-to-sun-ultra-marathon/

It was a wonderful experience, and I don't think I'll ever do it again. :)

Take care!

Kevin


Yea, I’m planning to go from the Maui Mall to the Haleakala Crater when we’re there next month…IN A CAR!

Good job, Kevin! That’s awesome!

1 comment:

~Cindy said...

Wow!!! Way to go, Kevin! What an accomplishment!