Sunday, July 25, 2010

WGU Meetings ~ July 13-17, 2010

For those of you who are long-time readers, you know that one of the highlights of my year is when my WGU co-workers come to Salt Lake City (in February and July) for our week of academic meetings and graduation.

My good friend, Jennifer, is leaving WGU, so the week was bitter-sweet. It was great to see everyone, but we knew it would be our last time with her attending the meetings.

Here are a few of the “old timers” between meetings…
The all-staff dinner and carnival were held at the Grand America. We had a lot of fun hanging out in the courtyard. Here are the “GRITS” (as Jennifer calls us) – Girls Raised In The South. I have been an honorary Southern Girl from the beginning – both by association and ancestry.My friend Cindy is currently in the middle of chemo treatments. During the raffle, she told us to rub her head for good luck. Debra, Cindy, and I all rubbed her head, and WON PRIZES! (They won an iPod Shuffle and an iPod Nano. I won a $100 American Express gift card!) Our friend, Chalu, refused to rub Cindy’s head for good luck. She didn’t win anything. :)Here are a few of the pictures from graduation. Governor Herbert (Utah) and former Governor Mike Leavitt (also former US Secretary of Health & Human Services) were honored guests. Martha Kanter, U.S. Undersecretary of Education, was the commencement speaker.Friends before graduation…Me with my one student who came to graduation this time…After graduation, Cindy, Blake, and I went to the Training Table for lunch. It has kind of become a tradition. They love being with Ryan, so Papa drove Ryan in to have lunch with us. Blake and Ryan do a semi-annual “height check.” He’s getting there!The most amazing thing of the week was the opportunity to introduce two of my good friends to each other in person. Kim and Cindy have both been going through chemo. Kim lives in my neighborhood, and Cindy lives in Mississippi, yet this was something I knew they had in common and could get through together. They have been emailing and keeping up on each other’s progress through blogs. Saturday night, the three of us went to dinner at ThaiFoon in the Gateway, and then went scarf shopping. I am so inspired by the courage and faith of these two friends. I love them, and I’m so happy they have been able to support each other through their experiences.What a wonderful week! I have amazing friends and co-workers at WGU – from New York to Florida to Washington, plus my Southern Girls in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas. See you in February!

2 comments:

SydneyMin said...

Fun pics and could you be any cuter. If WGU had cheerleaders, you'd be their cheer leader!

~Cindy said...

Sydney, you are SO correct! We'll have to get Melanie some pompoms. Maybe THEN she'll get the recognition she deserves.

Melanie, I LOVED seeing you and had a great time going out and meeting Kim on Saturday.