Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cub Scout Day Camp ~ Camp Tracy

I have now been a cub scout leader for 4 years. The first three years, I was the Wolf den leader, and attended Camp Tracy with the Wolf and Bear dens (always on Monday and Tuesday). This year Ryan attended camp on Wednesday and Thursday with the Webelos. Since I am now the cubmaster, I was able to go with him again! (Don't let him kid you, he loves having me there. He just won't admit it in front of his friends.) :)

We currently only have three boys in the Webelos den, so it was pretty mellow. Here are the boys while we waited for our other leader (the Webelos den leader) to check us in...
The Webelos also go on a 2-mile hike. The Webelos leader asked me if I was able to accompany them. It was straight up the mountain! Here are the boys as we started on the hike.
We enjoyed working on the "Readyman" (first aid) pin...
We were reminded how to conduct an official flag ceremony...
I was also the one that took the boys out on the lake in canoes. Knowing we would probably not emerge dry, I didn't take my camera in the canoe. I'm glad I didn't! We were literally chased around the lake by some of the other groups! I mentioned earlier that this was a mellow group. I would ask them if they wanted to have a water fight with the other groups, and they always said no. So we enjoyed rowing around the lake, observing caves in the mountainside, a family of ducks at the side of the lake, and a lot of different fish in the lake. We were "the nature appreciation boat" instead of one of the water-fighting groups. I didn't mind that they chose that route AT ALL!!! Of course, some groups just couldn't understand that we didn't want to get drenched - or worse - dumped into the lake like one of the other leaders! Several of them insisted on getting us wet anyway. (The Webelos leader took pictures of us in the canoes. I'll have to get copies from her.)
We ended the day in the lodge with a relaxing game of chess. Once the physical challenges were over, they were ready for the mental challenges. Just look at that concentration!

2 comments:

Heather Dodd said...

Hey Melanie, I understand where you are coming from.. I too was in scouts for 2 years taught Wolf and Bears and just got released I loved it more than I thought I would and also my son was in both with me and we also went to camp and loved me being in there with him and I think is going to miss now that he is in Webelos.

~Cindy said...

You are such a cool mom!