Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Am I a DFS File?

Isn't there a law that says medical personnel have to report to the DFS when they see the same kid more than once in 4 days? Please tell me there’s not. (Melissa?) ;)

Ryan’s fever finally broke on Tuesday, and he started feeling a little bit better. He still spent most of the day on his “sick bed,” and still had his “sick eyes,” but seemed to be doing better. Well, for a little while.

Ryan and I have this routine…this thing that we do every day. We dance to the theme song of one of the programs he watches. I’ve taught him the cha cha, which fits the music perfectly. I know the day will come when he will no longer want to dance with me like that, or even when he won’t watch that program any more. But for now, I’m enjoying the tradition.

As we were dancing today, I noticed that he had a rash on his neck. When the song was over, I lifted up his shirt. (No, I do not do that with all of the guys I dance with.) He had the same rash all over his chest and his back. Not good. I called his doctor, who was out of the office. I described the events of the past few days to the MA on the phone, and she suggested I take him to the Instacare. Again.

We went in, and I recounted the past few days to the front desk person. She had me bring him over to the desk, and ran back into the exam room area. She said they may have to quarantine a room for him, but we definitely needed to keep him away from the other patients in the waiting room.

We went into the exam room, where he immediately went for the drawer where the kids’ books and puzzles were. I joked with the MA that you know we’re there too often when he knows which drawer to go to for the entertainment.

The same doctor that saw us on Saturday was on duty. She checked him out again, and told us that for now, it just looks like a viral rash/heat rash from the fever. However, it could still turn into chicken pox. She described exactly what the chicken pox rash would do in the next 24 hours. If it does develop into chicken pox, we have to keep him quarantined for 14 days. Oh, won’t that be fun?

So…I apologize in advance to Melissa, Gayle, Kathi, Kim, Natasha, Nicole, Linda, Geri, and anyone else whose children have been around my child the past few days. Although, I’ve heard that “chicken pox parties” are the new thing. Seriously. If you want your kid to be exposed, watch for an update within 24 hours. If he’s in quarantine for 14 days, he’d love to have friends whose moms WANT them to be exposed!

The worst part of the day was that he missed his baseball game. Just like missing Monday night’s Blaze game, he was pretty mad at me. I explained that parents would not be happy if it ended up that he had the chicken pox, had we known that was a possibility and still taken him there. His next game is Thursday night, so hopefully he’s better and able to play. He’s thinking I’m a pretty mean stick-in-the-mud mom these days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've heard they keep files too.....which is why the Instacare doctor was looking at my father-in-law really strangely when Richard told the doctor the _last_ set of stitches were from playing at Jonah's grandparents' house (the OTHER grandparents!). I could just see the doctor thinking, "How do I tell these parents that the grandparents aren't safe?" Anyway, Jonah managed to go a whopping 24 days between sets of stitches.....
And Sophie has the chicken pox vaccine (it's a new thing, I don't think Jonah's had it), so we're safe _there_.
Good luck! We've wanted to visit but I figured Ryan was actually on the road to recovery. Silly me!