Monday, February 4, 2008

What Did the Goundhog Say?

I was so involved with so many other things on Saturday, I totally missed any coverage about what Punxsutawney Phil said. Apparently, according to his official website, there are to be six more weeks of winter. That is not surprising to those of us in Utah, considering it will take that long for all of the snow we currently have to melt!

I thought I’d give you some highlights of our typical winter day.

We live near the bottom of a ravine, and have to travel up quite a steep road along said ravine every morning to get Ryan to school. It snowed most of the night last night, and was snowing a little bit this morning. Luckily, the plows had already been through a couple of times before we ventured up the hill. (Yes, I took the pictures from INSIDE the car. You’re crazy if you think I’m getting out of the car on that hill in the snow!)

When we get to the top of that hill, it evens out a little bit. The street is beautiful with a lot of large pine trees.
A glove-less Ryan (they are usually tucked safely in his back pack) waves to me as he trudges down the snowy steps to school.
I drive back home, usually about 2 miles per hour in the snow, back down the aforementioned fun, slippery hill. (And y’all have asked me why we all drive SUVs in Utah!)
We had Ryan’s SEP after school today. He not only had straight 4s, but his teacher complimented him on his artistic abilities, organizational skills, and for being a good leader in the classroom. It was a proud mom moment.

After his SEP, it had stopped snowing, and there was even a little bit of blue sky and sun. We went for a drive around Bountiful and took more pictures. Here is the Bountiful Temple.
This is the road to Mueller Park Canyon, about three miles away from my house.
Looking west toward Antelope Island and the Great Salt Lake.
Looking south – just over those mountains is downtown Salt Lake City.
I received something pretty humorous today from my friend, Kevin, in Hawaii. They started sending out Groundhog Day letters one year when they were late with their Christmas letter.

http://www.kevinandnan.com/groundhog/

http://web.mac.com/kevinandnan/Groundhog_Day_08/Groundhog_Day_2008/Entries/2008/2/4_ghog08_files/ghog08.pdf

After our snow encounters of the day, I got REALLY jealous reading all of their fun happenings in Laie. Only 78 more days! (But who's counting?)

You're all welcome to let me know if your groundhog said you'd have an early Spring. I may come and stay with you for the next six weeks!

No comments: