Saturday, April 14, 2012

You Rock!

I saw a really fun idea on Studio 5 (I think) a couple of weeks ago. Like with most things I see, I used the general idea as a starting point, and then made some changes to make it my own.

I started with a picture frame ($1 at D.I.) and a rock (free). For many years, I have collected heart-shaped things in nature. This is my somewhat-heart-shaped-rock. I thought it would be perfect for this project.

I found a piece of scrapbook paper in my stash, as well as a couple of large silver 3-D letters. I also found a picture of “I love you” written in sand on the Internet, and cut out the “you” to use. I glued the “you” and the “at” in silver letters on the scrapbook paper, and put it in the frame.
I used liquid nails and glued the rock on the outside of the glass. I then used a white-board marker to write “public speaking” on the glass. (“You *rock* at public speaking.”)
The fun thing about this project is that I can erase the white board marker and write different things (swimming, basketball, vacuuming – he does rock at vacuuming, etc.) depending on the circumstances.

He LOVED it! It took less than an hour of work, and $1 to make his day!

2 comments:

Laurel C. said...

If you saw this on Studio 5 a couple weeks ago, then I'll bet you were watching my cousin's wife. Check the old links on Studio 5... were you watching Karen Eddington? That last name sound familiar? :)

Melanie said...

I LOVED Karen's segment! I figured she was related somehow. Here's the link to her awesome discussion on the right and not-so-right ways to praise our children:

http://studio5.ksl.com/index.php?nid=71&sid=19976236

About the same time, there was a crafter that did the "you rock" idea, too. Both segments came together in my creation. :)