Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mother of a Hero

On January 29, 1991, LCpl Dion J. Stephenson was killed in action in Saudi Arbaia.
Photo from http://www.forcerecon.com/LCpl-Dion-J-Stephenson.htm

Dion was a high school classmate of mine. He was on the swim team and the soccer team, as well as involved in many other sports and activities. Although I did not know him well, his death literally hit close to home.

I was not able to attend Dion’s funeral. I had just started a new job at Salt Lake Community College the first week of January, and was unable to take the time off. Several friends attended the funeral, so I made a copy of the funeral program.
But as I left work that day, I drove by the State Capitol and then Woods Cross High School and took pictures of the flags at half-staff in his honor.
I drove through the cemetery and took pictures of the memorial placed in his honor, as well as any others who would be killed in action. Some of Dion’s funeral flowers were placed by the memorial.
Later I made a scrapbook page with the funeral program, my pictures, and the newspaper coverage of his death.
Dion’s parents still live about ½ mile east of me. I see them a couple of times a year around town. I always make sure I stop to talk with them, and they always thank me for remembering Dion, and remembering who they are.

Saturday when Ryan & I were grocery shopping, I saw Dion’s mom. I reminded her who I am, and then introduced her to Ryan. I asked Ryan if he recognized the name Dion Stephenson. He said, “Isn’t he that Desert Storm guy?” Not as eloquent of an answer as I would have liked, but I could tell that she was impressed that Ryan knew.

I told her that Ryan is a swimmer. Our pool is named after Dion, and a sign is painted right above the door with his name and other information.
Dion’s mom mentioned that she hadn’t been back to the pool since the dedication ceremony. One of Dion’s best friends from the Woods Cross soccer team and swim team now has a swimmer on the Tsunami swim team with Ryan. Dion’s mom was thrilled to hear that. I mentioned some other classmates with kids on the Tsunami team, too. With a few of us having kids who are now swimmers, she asked me to let her know when the next home swim meet is. She wants to come and see the next generation of swimmers competing in the pool named for her son, the war hero.

No comments: