Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Chocolate Raspberry Rice Krispie Treats


I have a book written by a man who grew up in the Bear Lake area. The book includes all kinds of fun recipes using raspberries and other Bear Lake-area foods. I saw this one and wanted to try it.

Raspberry Rice Krispie Treats

1 ½ bags large marshmallows
5 cups Rice Krispies
¾ c. butter
4 chocolate bars
1 ½ c. fresh raspberries


In a large saucepan, melt marshmallows, butter, and chocolate bars, stirring continuously. Take off heat and add raspberries and Rice Krispies. Form into a log, let cool, and then cover with plastic wrap. Serve a big slice at a time.

As I was adding the raspberries, I noticed that the mixture quickly turned to a different texture than normally seen with Rice Krispie treats. I worried that they wouldn’t set up! I even added more Rice Krispies than the recipe recommended in order to thicken it up a little bit. It would have been absolutely impossible to form it into a log as the recipe recommends, so I poured it into a casserole dish as is done in the traditional recipe. I also put it in the refrigerator to see if that would help them set up. That did help. However, the juice from the raspberries had already seeped into the Rice Krispies, so they were not as crunchy as the traditional version.

Overall, as much as I love raspberries and chocolate and Rice Krispie treats, I don’t think I’ll combine them again. Perhaps raspberry jam would work better than fresh raspberries. I’ll save my fresh raspberries for straight eating!

If anyone has tried/tries this recipe, please let me know if it works for you!

No comments: