Friday, August 26, 2011

Back-to-school/Welcome Assembly

As I mentioned in my prior post, instead of having a Welcome Assembly at the flag pole on the first day of school as in previous years, that happened the first Friday of school.


The student council (10 6th grade kids, including Ryan) did the majority of the assembly.

The principal welcomed everyone, and talked a little bit about the 100 year anniversary of our school district. Then Ryan and the only other boy on the student council did the flag ceremony…


Said the Pledge of Allegiance and sang The Star Spangled Banner…

And sang the school song…


Before, during, and after the assembly, I had the opportunity to talk with each of Ryan’s prior teachers (at different points during the program, as I was running from one area to another for pictures, etc.), except his 4th grade teacher, who has retired. Here’s the recap of my conversations with them:

Mrs. Noyce (2nd grade): “Ryan has always been such a cute kid. He’s still a cute kid!”

Mr. Bacall (3rd grade): “Look at your big 6th grader on the student council!”
Mrs. Busk (5th grade): “It’s so fun to see Ryan on student council this year. He’s such a great kid!”
After the assembly, I went into the school to do my volunteer time in Ryan’s classroom, as I checked in on the computer in the office, the principal said, “Ryan is such a great kid! You have taught him well. He is always very respectful.” And as I went into Ryan’s classroom, his current teacher, Mrs. Schmidt, said, “I love Ryan. He is such a wonderful kid!” (I haven’t taken a picture of just the two of them yet, but I will.)

I always joke that more people know me as “Ryan’s mom” than my own name! I don’t mind. It’s an honor.

No comments: