Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What is Today?

As a devoted BYU fan, my wake up song to Ryan every morning is “Rise and Shout,” BYU’s fight song. When I finished singing this morning, he sat up in his bed and gave me a HUGE hug. He had a hard time going back to school yesterday, so I thought maybe he was sucking up in preparation of his “can I stay home today” speech. When he let go, he said, “Do you know why I hugged you?”

“Because I’m such an awesome mom and you love me so much?”

“No!” (What?) “Didn’t you look at my calendar for today? It’s ‘Cuddle-Up Day.’”

That explains it.

We’re having a lot of fun with his calendar. Yesterday we were able to add something to it. Yesterday, January 5, was the inauguration of Governor Jon Huntsman.At the end of his speech the governor said, “No matter if you normally cheer for the blue or the red, today we are all proud of the Utes.” And he declared yesterday Utah Utes Day in honor of the great performance by the Utes at the Sugar Bowl.
For all of you that know me, you know that I am True Blue. Utahns know that if you live in the state, you are generally red OR blue, you can’t be both. Interestingly, at the beginning of the game last Friday, a friend in the South (and die hard Alabama fan) made a comment on Facebook about me cheering for the Utes. I never thought that phrase would be uttered! But I hope I speak for all BYU fans in saying that we ARE proud of the Utes and their spectacular season!

1 comment:

SydneyMin said...

Oh no, Melanie! Do you know how you are scarring your dear child?!?!? My mom woke us up with "Rise and Shout, the Cougars are out!" way too often :) lol but now it is a fun memory. I think it was more that I hated how she tore the covers off more than how she sang the song. Way to go Utes!