Sunday, January 18, 2009

In Memory

In the past two weeks, we have mourned the deaths of three people who have been important in our lives.

My Great Uncle Jim, my Grandpa Jensen’s brother, passed away on Monday, January 6. He was 90 years old. He and his wife, Flora, moved to a care center here in Bountiful a while ago. We have enjoyed visiting with them there. Even though our extended family had annual family reunions when we were growing up, Uncle Jim did not attend as often as his siblings did, so I didn’t know him well in my youth. It has just been in the past couple of years that Ryan and I have gotten to know him better. We have enjoyed our time with him, and learning more about not only him, but about my grandpa as we heard stories of their youth.

Jeff’s Great Aunt Winnie, his Grandma Morrell’s sister, passed away on Monday, January 12. She was 89 years old. I first met this great lady in 1996, and I have continued correspondence with her over the years. Even though I have not technically been a member of her family for almost seven years, she always enjoyed hearing about the things happening in our lives. I last saw her at a family reunion on Catalina Island in the summer of 2001. Even at the age of 81, she was willing to camp on the island in order to spend time with her family. Aunt Winnie was the family member responsible for most of the family history work. At one family reunion, I purchased several binders of family history from her. I'm so glad that I have those for Ryan to get to know the wonderful people on that side of his family.
Here is a sweet tribute written to Aunt Winnie by her granddaughter, Jane.
Our neighbor and friend, Irene Dickson, passed away on Saturday, January 10. I have known Irene since I was five years old. When I was younger, she was a loving and caring leader. When I moved back into this ward after my divorce, she was an accepting friend who truly loved unconditionally. I will miss her not only as my friend, but as someone who modeled Christ-like love and service.

2 comments:

SydneyMin said...

I'm sorry to hear of your losses, Melanie! They do say that deaths come in three... and I've oddly seen it happen more than once. It's good to have wonderful people in our lives. How great that you got to know your great-uncle better in his latter years :)

kimM said...

I was sorry to see that Sister Dickson had passed away. I agree with you in that she showed Christ-like love and service. She was always very kind to me.