Monday, January 19, 2009

Draper Temple Open House

From the time the Draper Temple open house was announced, Ryan has been excited about attending. He thought it was great that he would have the opportunity to go into a temple!

On Saturday, January 17, our tickets were for 8:40 am. We were assigned to begin at one of three different churches, and then take a bus to the temple. We started in the Relief Society room with a short video about temples in general, as well as the Draper temple in particular. Then we took the bus to the temple.

We were able to go through the baptistry, the brides' room, the chapels and other waiting areas, several ordinance rooms, and the Celestial Room. We were also able to sit in one of the sealing rooms for a few moments, and look into the mirrors as a family. Ryan and I were able to talk about what the mirrors represented, and later we talked about how we could make sure that what we saw symbolically would come to pass literally. I hope it is a memory that will stay with Ryan for the rest of his life.

This Wednesday, I have the opportunity to take my good friend, Scarlette, to the open house. She will be in town from Alabama, and expressed interest in participating in the temple open house while she's here. I joked with her that "I'm going to the temple with Scarlette" was a phrase I never thought I would say. I'll be anxious to hear her questions and comments about our experience.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

It has been so long since I have been to an Open house. They do not happen often and I am happy that Ryan got to go!

SydneyMin said...

I'm glad you included a picture of the temple since I hadn't seen one yet. I remember going to temple open houses when I was young - Logan temple when they rededicated it (standing in a long line in the snow!). I'm sure Ryan will remember this for a long time :)