Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Back in the Real World

Since a few of you have asked for updates, here’s what has happened the past couple of days.

We’ve had a REALLY hard time getting back on a “mainland time” schedule. As I have put Ryan to bed at his regular 7:30/8:00 bedtime, it has occurred to me that it is 3:30/4:00 in the afternoon on the schedule we’ve been used to! No wonder he can’t go to sleep for a couple of hours! I’ve had difficulty going to sleep, too. Sunday night, I finally fell asleep at about 1:15 or 1:30, I think. At 2:40 am, my doorbell rang. It was Delta delivering our luggage. In the past when I’ve had lost luggage, they just leave it in the middle of the night as a pleasant surprise upon waking in the morning. Apparently due to theft and wrong addresses, they now wake up the already jetlagged and cranky weary travelers to have them sign for their luggage. Oh well, at least we have it.

My poor little Ryan went back to school to end-of-year testing yesterday and the rest of this week. I was really concerned about how he’d do without a full night’s sleep, but it sounds like he did ok. After I took him to school, I logged in to my work email account and discovered that I had 226 emails from and/or about students. (That’s actually not as bad as I thought it would be!) I only got through about half of them yesterday, so I still have a busy day today. The nice thing about working from home is that I can throw in a load of laundry between student phone calls or emails. I did two weeks of laundry while sorting through two weeks of email. How fun for me! Last night after Ry went to bed, I alternated between folding the aforementioned two weeks of laundry and sorting through two weeks of regular mail that was all delivered yesterday. But my “economic stimulus rebate” notice was in there! I checked my account online, and sure enough! That made me pretty happy, since I did such a great job stimulating the Hawaiian economy the past couple of weeks!

Marc went straight from the airport to the InstaCare. He has an ear infection/sinus infection. He was pretty miserable our last couple of days in Hawaii, but still did a great job entertaining Ryan in the water. What a super uncle! He is now on antibiotics and ear drops, so we hope he feels better soon.

We’re glad that we were able to come home to nice, sunny weather instead of six inches of snow like the last time we came home from Hawaii! It has made the return to reality a little less shocking.

No comments: