Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Naked Yard/Tree Haircut

For those of you who see our house and yard on a regular basis, you have likely already been somewhat alarmed by the transformation of our yard over the past week. For those of you who haven’t seen it, we chopped down three trees and did some serious pruning on two others. We had actually planned on doing all of this work after the Hawaii trip so we would have the time to make it look better fairly quickly. My friend Karl ended up having some time to help us with it, so we went for it.

The first time Ryan and I drove up our street and into our driveway after all of the work was completed, it was kind of a shock. Our yard definitely looked naked. Melissa, my friend across the street, commented on the “tree haircut” and thanked us for providing several hours of entertainment for her son, Jonah, standing at their front window. (Melissa then returned the favor by having backhoes take large boulders out of her yard, providing several hours of entertainment for Ryan standing at our front window.) My mom suggested (after everything was done) that we should have taken some before, during, and after pictures. Why didn’t I think of that?

And...have no fear, there are still plenty of trees in our front yard to house all of the birds. They were a little mad at first (and expressed their feelings quite loudly), but they seem to have adjusted well.

Speaking of birds, you all know that Ryan “talks” to the birds in our yard every morning before he hops in the car to go to school. Well, his new morning comment is “Good morning, naked yard,” followed by hysterical laughter. Truth be told, I think he enjoys the fact that he figured out a sentence in which he can use the word “naked” without me giving him “the look.”

Give me a few weeks – I promise the yard will all look better shortly.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Pictures, pictures, we need pictures!! I need to see this naked yard :O)