Sunday, December 23, 2007

2007 in Review - May

The second Saturday in May was the annual Scout-o-Rama at the South Towne Expo. Being that I am a Cub Scout leader (and that Ryan can hardly wait another year to become a scout), we went for about 4 hours. Our ward did a booth (made Ooblek with those who stopped by), so Ryan and I worked in our booth for an hour, and then spent the rest of the time meandering about the other two thousand booths. Ok, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but not much. Ryan enjoyed doing all of the activities, but was a little bit bugged that he couldn’t earn any of the fun patches because he is not officially a Cub Scout yet. Next year, bud!

I started working with a personal trainer (Rachel) in May. I was walking a couple of miles every day, yet not feeling that I was getting anywhere. My brother, Marc (who didn't really need to lose weight in the first place), started with a trainer several months ago, and has gotten TOTALLY buff! (Not that that is the look I'm going for.) Rachel is a mom with 2 kids - one is 7 and on Ryan's soccer team. I chose her because I felt that she would have realistic expectations for a 39-year-old mom who works full time. I am in the 30-39 age range, so I was (unfortunately) being compared on charts with people several years younger. Most of the things they measure, I was in the average category. My cardiovascular endurance was really good for the age range, which made me happy. I guess all that walking is doing some good somewhere. Rachel and I (well, maybe just Rachel) were excited to realize that the next time we evaluate me, I'll be in the next age range category. I'll be at the young end of the category instead of the old end!

Rara and Papa took Ryan to “This is the Place Heritage Park” for the anniversary celebration of the Golden Spike. They had a great time, and were able to mingle with yet more “muckety-mucks.” Ryan met Brigham Young (you look at the picture and tell me that isn’t Brigham Young!), and Governor Huntsman!

I spent the Memorial Day weekend writing a 30-page paper. We went to our two regular cemeteries and had a family BBQ, but I took books for my paper everywhere. I was the life of the party!

We had one last big Spring snowstorm after everything had started to bloom. I hope my fruit trees are all ok. But Ryan and I ran out with our cameras and took several pictures before the snow all melted. Here are a couple of my favorites.

No comments: