Sunday, December 23, 2007

2007 in Review - July

The first few days of July are always fun in the Bountiful/North Salt Lake area. The various cities in South Davis County stagger their fireworks so that there are some every night for about a week! We always go to Eaglewood in NSL on July 3. They have booths, games, bouncy toys for the kids, and then fireworks. We always see a lot of people that we know, and it is always a lot of fun.

One of my cub scouts was baptized on July 7, and he and his grandma asked me to speak. I was very flattered to be asked.

On July 9, our close family friend, Phil Chase, passed away – exactly six months after Jane. After Jane died, Ryan really missed his visits with her, so he continued walking over to visit with Phil. In fact, on what would have been Jane’s birthday in March, Ryan made a really cute card for Phil and went for a visit. We will miss Ryan’s wonderful experiences (work and play) with CCI, and will always be honored that Ryan was the only non-descendent to be admitted into such a prestigious organization! I had work meetings in SLC on the day of Phil’s funeral, and wasn’t sure if I’d be able to get away to attend. After talking with my boss, I was able to make arrangements to drive home during our lunch break to attend. I slipped in about the time it started, and slipped out about the time it was ending in order to get back to my meetings. I was so glad that I was able to attend.

July was the second round of semi-annual WGU faculty meetings, so I spent a great week with my buddies again. I had a student from Nevada come for graduation. It’s always fun to meet my students for the first time as they graduate!

Another fun thing about July in Bountiful is Handcart Days. We went to the parade and fireworks on Friday, July 20. The next day we went to the park and enjoyed pioneer games, food, etc. Ryan shot a bow & arrow, sawed a log, and branded the log (with the help of a man with very large gloves). We had a lot of fun. Oh, and of course, what would summer be without baseball?


No comments: