Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Elementary School Volunteer Time

With this being Ryan’s last year of elementary school, I spent about twice as much time volunteering. Every Wednesday, I was a tutor in Ryan’s math class. I spent about an hour with about five students who struggled the most with math. Who would have thought that I would be a math tutor one day? True, only sixth grade math, but still!

Every Friday morning for about an hour, I did general classroom help for Ryan’s home room teacher. She is also Ryan’s student council advisor. We all got to be very close friends through the year. Her husband was deployed to Kuwait right before Christmas, so it was nice to spend that time with her, doing what I could to help lighten her load.

I was also asked by the music teacher to oversee Ryan’s class party on May 8. I called some of my favorite moms, and we made ice cream sundaes with the kids. The music teacher had some classic music videos that she wanted to show the kids, so they watched those as they ate their ice cream. It was a lot of fun to spend that one last chunk of time with the kids in Ryan’s class.

I’m going to miss my volunteer time next year!

No comments: