Sunday, July 3, 2011

Transformers: Dark of the Moon; Eaglewood Fireworks ~ July 2

Since I have been all-consumed with school work lately, Ryan and I haven’t been going to as many movies as we used to. But in June and July, three of our “must see” movies have been/will be released. Transformers: Dark of the Moon was one of them. Well, one of them for one of us. :) We found that it was playing in 3-D at our local theater, so we went. Ryan enjoyed it more than I did, but I enjoyed watching him enjoy it. Isn’t that what many happy parenting moments are about?

One of our favorite Independence Day traditions is the Eaglewood/North Salt Lake carnival and fireworks. I think we have gone every year since we moved back to Bountiful. Even when I was teaching evening classes, we’d head up as soon as I was done. Our first venture into pet ownership began at the Eaglewood carnival. Ryan won two real fish in the fish pond. It was a Saturday night. Those poor fish got jostled around so much in the baggie during the rest of the carnival, the fireworks, and the walk halfway across the city to our car, that they were pretty much done in by the time we got them home. We found a bowl to put them in, and then went to the store right after church on Sunday (I know – gasp!) for food, etc. They didn’t make it much past that. But that experience started the “Can I have a pet ____” discussions for the next several years.

The carnival is getting bigger and bigger, and more crowded. Ryan is now too old for the bouncy toys, where he used to spend most of his time and tickets. This year, Rara and I sat on our blanket while Papa and Ryan went exploring the carnival. They returned quickly, letting us know that the lines were too long.

We enjoyed sitting on the lawn and talking until the skydivers started. We were disappointed that there was no flyover this year. Military budget cuts, I guess.

Ryan had his iPod, so we played Boggle until the fireworks started.
Fireworks two nights in a row = awesome!

No comments: