Monday, June 13, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend ~ May 27-30, 2011

I’ve been asked quite a bit lately if we go somewhere fun for Memorial Day. I know a lot of people travel over the long weekend, and kind of unofficially start summer that weekend, too. We have always had the tradition of centering our Memorial Day around it’s true meaning – remembering and honoring those who have gone before us.

On Friday, May 27, Rara, Papa, Ryan and I went to the Bountiful cemetery and decorated the graves of my Grandma & Grandpa Jensen and my brother, Jon. We always talk with Ryan about some of their characteristics or experiences we had with them so that he can know their stories. We remind Ryan that I, the oldest grandchild, was born on my Grandpa Jensen’s birthday, and that my cousin, Deb, the youngest grandchild, was born on my Grandma Jensen’s birthday. I always tell Ryan of my efforts to convince my doctors to let Ryan (the first great-grandchild) be born on my Grandma Jensen’s birthday, since we knew he would be born C-section anyway. The doctors were adamant that we wait a few more days. Ryan was born 5 days later, weighing 8 pounds, 8 ounces. I still think he would have been ok had he been born on April 20 to carry on the neat pattern. :)

We also always swing by the graves of our long-time friends, the Chases (Jane, Phil, and Steve), and the Stout family plot. Norm & Sandy Stout have lived next to the home where the Chases lived for many years. Their son, Dave, who is my age, lost his wife to cancer about 1 ½ years ago. The Stout family plot is right next to the Chase family plot – the families will be next door forever.

After the Bountiful cemetery, we travel to Sunset Lawn in Salt Lake and visit the graves of Nana Inman and Uncle Ralph Inman. Interestingly, I was also born on Uncle Ralph’s birthday! We do the same thing there with Ryan, but ask him what he remembers about Nana, who died when Ryan was five.

Over Memorial Day weekend, another fund raiser for Gates Hunsaker was taking place. After we made the rounds to the cemeteries, we stopped at our favorite dessert spot, Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt, who was donating part of the profits from the weekend to the Hunsaker family. (Saturday, Ryan and I stopped at Orange Leaf again, and also stopped at Parson’s Bakery. We had planned to go to Firehouse car wash, but it was raining, and we ran out of time.)

On Saturday, May 28, Alice and Claire hung out with Rara & Papa while Marc, Frances, Ryan and I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. We always enjoy seeing movies with them. As with many sequels, I didn’t think it was as good as its predecessors, but it was still entertaining.

After the movie, Ryan and I hurried home, had dinner, and changed our clothes. I won symphony tickets Friday on Facebook, so Ryan and I had a date together to the symphony. The program was Charles Ives’ Three Places in New England, Richard Strauss’ Four Last Songs, and Igor Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring. Anyone who is familiar with these will know that they are somewhat unusual pieces. Ryan definitely enjoyed our symphony trip in February a little more, when John Williams movie theme songs were played. But we still had a great time together, and enjoyed our date.

I’ve already posted this news, but the most exciting thing of the weekend was the news I received Monday afternoon. I anticipated receiving the results of my comprehensive exams any time. However, with Monday being Memorial Day, I figured I’d hear something on Tuesday, when everyone was back to work. Mid-afternoon Monday, I just had a feeling to check. My results were there, and I PASSED! NO REVISIONS!!! That was my goal, and I did it!

We also had a fun surprise visit from Wendy Chase Arnold. I told her on Facebook that we had visited the graves of her parents and brother on Friday. She no longer lives in the area, and said she was hoping to come to town on Monday, but wasn’t sure. She and her daughter were able to come to Bountiful, visit the cemetery, and then make stops at our house and the Stouts to visit. It was a fun surprise, and it was good to visit with her for a while.

We had a great Memorial Day weekend, and had fun including both old traditions and new adventures.

No comments: