Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Comps Submitted! ~ May 16, 2011

My comprehensive exams were due at midnight Central time (11:00 pm my time) on Tuesday, May 17. I had to submit the text through “Safe Assign” – an originality program – about 24 hours in advance in order to have it evaluated for originality concerns. Safe Assign generates a report, color coding my references, quotations, etc. There are guidelines regarding the percentage of quotations that can be included in the writing, and the report also helps ensure that all quotes are properly cited. It can take up to 24 hours to receive the report, thus the recommendation to submit it 24 hours before the comps are actually due.

My Safe Assign report came back in about 15 minutes! I felt good about what I had written, and I was afraid that if I spent any more time looking at my comps, I’d start second-guessing myself. So I submitted them – 24 hours before they were due!!!

Something interesting happened the last couple of weeks that I was writing my comps. I completely lost my voice! I had a slight cold, but nothing very serious. In fact, it may have even been allergies. But my voice was totally gone! On Mother’s Day, at the farewell and luncheon, and at the family party, I was literally whispering. It was a little bit strange. But an interesting story to tell!

No comments: