Tuesday, July 22, 2008

WGU Academic Meetings and Graduation

You all know that this is one of my favorite weeks of the year. Although it consists of 10-to-12-hour work days, and then several additional hours of “mandatory” socializing afterward, it is always so great to see my good friends!

Speaking of "mandatory" socializing...the BBQ, dunking machine, plaza-wide karaoke and bouncey toys on the Gallivan Plaza were a lot of fun. Thanks to Blake and Cindy for some additional entertainment! (Notice that I DIDN'T post the pictures of anyone falling out of the bouncey toy!) ;)

For those of you who may not know, most WGU employees think I am a Southern girl. Apparently since I spend all of my time with Scarlette (formerly Georgia, now Alabama), Debra (Georgia), Cindy (formerly Alabama, now Mississippi) and Blake (Alabama), it is just assumed that I live in the South. In fact, co-workers often ask where I live in the South! My grandfather was born and raised in Alabama, so the REAL Southern girls have dubbed me an “honorary Southern girl.” (Scarlette & Blake – I’m seriously considering a trip there to find my “roots”! I’ll keep you posted.) It was great to have the “fab five” back together. Cindy left us for a while, thinking she could go back to the elementary classroom without missing us. She was wrong! It’s great to have her back! It’s always fun to be with y’all! I miss you already!!!
Celina also surprised us with a visit! You KNOW we miss you, too! Thanks for your continued friendship and your sweet emails. They always come at the perfect time! Jenn, thanks for bringing baby Jared all the way from Waxahachie! It was so fun to see him!
Sydney and Jamie, thanks for the blog exchange! See, you’ve already been added to the list! Sydney…Ryan and I will let you know when we’re ready for our “National Treasure” trip!

And to all of my other good friends not mentioned here by name, you know I love you, too!

The graduation exercises were inspiring, as usual. Tracie, I wish you could have been there! I hope you watched the exercises on the internet, and I especially hope that you stood when Sal asked all of the candidates to stand. I thought about you, and hoped you were standing at home.

WGU was featured in a couple of TV and newspaper stories. On Friday night, KSL introduced Kimberly Lillywhite, a student who had done her student teaching while battling cancer.
My mom was Kimberly’s clinical supervisor during her time in the classroom. Kimberly was also one of the student speakers at graduation, and did a great job. Saturday night, KSL did a story on WGU and the graduation exercises. That was also fun to see! Over the weekend, the Salt Lake Tribune also had an article on WGU and the graduation exercises. It was great to see such positive coverage all weekend.

Ryan had a fun week hanging out with Rara and Papa. Among other activities, they enjoyed the Days of ’47 Rodeo, although he was appalled at the treatment of the calves during the calf roping. Future PETA member, maybe?

It ended up to be a fun week for all of us!

2 comments:

SydneyMin said...

It was so fun to see you, too, Melanie! What a fun post - reliving all of last week's memories :) And we will love to host you two whenever you make it out to Philly!

Tim said...

Awwww! You're too sweet! I wish I could have been there too. One day I really am going to make the trip... just not today :O) I have an even better idea... you and Ryan should come down to visit Mickey Mouse and then we could get together and have some southern sweet tea in honor of your AL roots!! (((((((((Hugs)))))))))) to you for all that you've done for me...

Blessings,
Tracie