Monday, November 19, 2007

Simulation & Gaming

We have previously discussed the concept of “edutainment,” a term coined by the software industry to describe programs that are both educational and entertaining. This week’s topic of study focused on a couple of aspects of “edutainment,” simulations and games.

Once again, I enjoyed the discussion which asked each class member to post examples they found of each: simulations, simulation-games, and games. I posted a fun simulation of a volcano from the Discovery Channel website (http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/pompeii/interactive/interactive.html). For my simulation-game, I posted http://www.nationstates.net/. Finally, as my games, I posted a site with Battle Ship, Checkers, Tic-Tac-Toe, Scrabble, and other logic, reasoning, or strategy games (http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/logic/).

It’s always fun to see the sites that my classmates have either found for the assignment, or have been using in their own educational settings with their students. There are definitely several that I am going to check on; not only for my students, but for myself and my own son.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Melanie,
I have also learned a lot from the each of you. This has been a great class and I hope I will see you on the class roster of future courses.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Meredith

Melanie said...

Thanks, Meredith!

I feel the same way about this course. Everyone's individual perspectives (grade level, etc.) were so informative! It was great to see what everyone is doing in their own classrooms, schools, districts, institutions, etc.

I hope to see you again, too!

Melanie