Sunday, September 30, 2007

Blogs and Wikis in Education

This was another fun and informative week in our course. My opinion of blogs and wikis in education really evolved quite a bit this week. I was a little bit hesitant and skeptical about using either in the education field, particularly K-12. My mindset change began early in the week with our assigned reading. Will Richardson joked in the text that some readers may be thinking, "This isn't appropriate for education" or "This will never work in my school." He went on to explain the ways that it CAN work and IS working.

I loved the section on Wikipedia. As I mentioned in my post, I came to understand Richardson's philosophy and perspective. I think the phrase that struck me most in the reading was, "...everyone together is smarter than anyone alone." I realized what an excellent collaborative tool a blog or a wiki can be. And my security fears were put at ease with some of Richardson's suggestions about security for K-12 blogs and wikis.

I also very much enjoyed the "Blog Hunt" discussion. I love the discussion topics where we find and share resources. I was able to view many educational blogs that were posted by my classmates. I have bookmarked several and plan to return to them often.

It has been another great week, and I look forward to the upcoming week of coursework.

Until next time...

No comments: