Thursday, May 26, 2011

Ryan’s First Scout Overnighter ~ April 22-23, 2011

We rushed home from Frances’ graduation to get Ryan to his first overnighter as a scout. Yes, less than 24 hours after he was welcomed into scouting, he went on his first overnighter!

This was Ryan’s first night away from a family member. Even as I have traveled for work and school, he has always stayed with Rara and Papa. When we said good-bye, he teared up a little bit (if he’s reading this, I mean he was worried about if I would be ok while he was gone).

Ryan is the only 11-year-old boy in our ward, so we combine his scout group with the ward next to us. He knows a couple of the boys a little bit, but with him not going to the neighborhood school, he doesn’t know any of the boys well. I think that was part of the fear – that he was also going with people he didn’t know well. But they were cute to call for him to come over and join them.

I have to admit, I worried about him all evening, all night, and all day Saturday until he came home. I worried if he was warm enough (he wasn’t), and if he was eating enough (he was). He was the last scout to be dropped off by his leaders. They said he did pretty well, and was a pretty good little trooper. I’m proud of him for making the change from a little Cub Scout to an overnight-camping-scout in such a short time and such a brave manner!

No comments: