Friday, June 11, 2010

Cub Scout Blue & Gold Banquet

Thursday, May 27 was also our pack’s Blue & Gold Banquet. I am the Cubmaster. It was a big day. Yes, the Blue & Gold is usually in February, when scouting celebrates its birthday. Our Cub Committee Chair was gone for two straight months and pack meetings, and we didn’t want to do the Blue & Gold without her. In looking at monthly themes, May’s theme was “In the Spotlight.” We thought that would be a fun theme for the Blue & Gold.

We had an Oscars theme, and some of our leaders even dressed in their formals!We had a yummy dinner of spaghetti & meatballs, garlic bread, and salad. Our former Cubmaster graciously agreed (volunteered, actually) to oversee kitchen duties.Our emcee was wonderful. I had asked a member of our ward to emcee for us, and gave him a script that I had partially written, partially adapted from one I found on the Internet. Then he added his own humor. He did a great job! For the boys’ awards, the emcee read the “nominees” for each award, and then asked for the envelope. Our Wolf leader, in her gold formal, took him the envelope with the boy’s name and award. (I was sitting at a table just off-stage with the pile of envelopes and other awards, giving them at the appropriate time.) I had found “Oscar” trophies online and ordered those for the boys. So when the boys each came up, they received their award(s) in the envelope, as well as the trophy. They seemed to really enjoy it.For the advancement awards (Wolf and Bear), we had the parents (and some siblings) come up. It gave everyone a chance to be on stage and recognized.The most exciting thing was that Ryan made it in time for the awards! I was worried about what time he’d get there (since he also had the 4th Grade Utah History Pageant going on), and even put his awards last. He made it!I gave my camera to one of our Den Chiefs, and told him to snap away. He did a great job taking a lot of pictures for me. The night turned out very well, but I was extremely relieved to have it over!

No comments: