Monday, April 5, 2010

March 2010 Recap

Since I’m still trying to get caught up on the blog, I’ll do the entire March recap in this post.

On Saturday, March 6, we celebrated Papa’s birthday (actually March 7) with the fam. As always, we loved spending time with Rara & Papa, Marc & Frances, and Alice & Claire.Right on Papa’s birthday, his ward (the young adult ward where he is bishop) had a “mingle.” Rara and the ward members surprised him with a birthday cake at the mingle.Tuesday, March 9, was Ryan’s 4th grade “dance informance.” They have been studying Utah history, so all of their dances were folk dances representing groups that settled in Utah. At the end, the kids grabbed their parents from the audience, and we all did the Virginia Reel together. It was a lot of fun!I didn’t do as much for St. Patrick’s Day this year as I have in the past. I was in the middle of a rough quarter in my PhD program (one of my courses being statistics). In addition, Ryan’s cub scout den did a Family Home Evening at the “Sante House” (a very small residential home for the disabled). So we had to be quick. He did have a fun lunch and dinner, with as much green as possible.

Speaking of my rough quarter, I finished the quarter with As in both of my classes. Yes, surprisingly, even statistics! Allow me to brag for a moment…I have a 4.0 in my PhD program. I am hopeful that since I was able to pull an A in what most consider to be the toughest class, I’ll be able to hold that GPA to the end.

The day after my classes ended, we went and had a little bit of fun. I took Ryan and his friend, Isaac, to the Discovery Gateway Museum. They had fun building things, knocking them down with simulated earthquakes, climbing in and out of the helicopter, and being pretend weather forecasters. It was fun to go and just relax!Ryan’s Jr. Jazz basketball season came to an end in March. It was a lot of fun watching him learn and progress in this new competitive sport.With the end of basketball season comes the beginning of soccer season. Already, two practices and one game have been cancelled due to snow. He is a great soccer player, but has decided that this will be his last season. He is interested in pursuing different sports and activities.Our cub scout pack meeting in March was a lot of fun. My very first month as a den leader four years ago, we did a space derby. None of us have done it since, so we decided to try it again. I talked about the Wright Brothers, and other historical aerospace events as we did the awards. The most exciting part of the evening was when Ryan was welcomed into the Webelos den! The derby was a lot of fun. It took us a little while to get it all figured out enough for it to actually make the rockets go to the end, but everyone was patient and worked well together. I think everyone ended up having a lot of fun.
March 28 was Alice & Claire’s 18 month birthday. Since there are only 3 grandkids on our side of the family, and since they are twins, we need to celebrate all we can. We had dinner at Marc & Frances’ house. Frances’ mom made an ice cream cake, but I took up a few cupcakes for the girls to eat. As you can see, they loved them!

Rara & Papa gave the girls little brooms so they could help Rara “schweep” when she is there. Ryan and I gave them hilarious little bath toys. They are mermaid Barbies sitting in flowers. When you put them in the water and turn them on, they spin and spray water. The girls got so messy and sticky with their cupcakes that we helped give them a bath so they could play with their toys.

2 comments:

ME Moon said...

hooray for the GPA!!! (and i'll cross my fingers that it won't dip at all for the rest of the program)

SydneyMin said...

Fun times, Melanie! Keep up the great work in your program!