Monday, April 26, 2010

And Then He Was Ten

Most of you know that Ryan and I are loyal Kenny Chesney fans. One of my favorite songs (and unfortunately very true) is “Don’t Blink.” For you non-Country fans, here are some of the lyrics:

“Don't blink
Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap
And you wake up and you're twenty-five,
And your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don't blink
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did…”


I have to admit that I’ve been a little bit emotional about this birthday, for some reason. It has been pointed out several times that he’s now in the “double digits.” In three years he’ll be a teenager! In another 10 years he’ll (hopefully) be serving as a fabulous missionary, sharing the things I’m teaching him right now. I’ve often said, “It was obvious that Ryan was my first baby, but I never realized he would also be my last.” You know when all of those older people tell you as a young mom to “cherish every moment”? I’m afraid that with the turmoil of our lives for a couple of years there, that I didn’t do that very well. I think a lot about the years between his 2nd birthday and the time he started kindergarten – the things I did that I shouldn’t have done, and the things I should have done that I didn’t do. As I’ve mentioned recently, I appreciate all of the family members and friends who help me teach him the important things that he needs to know.

It was obvious that this birthday was going to be different when he mentioned what he wanted as his gift. An iPod Touch. Good-bye $8 superhero action figures and Bakugan Battle Brawlers. Good-bye $20 DVDs and $50 X-Box 360 and Wii games. He’s not a little boy anymore!

Ryan had a soccer game Saturday morning. Immediately after the game, we went and got his iPod Touch. With it being a Saturday, it was nice to withhold it until chores were done. :) We spent the afternoon (between working in the yard and various inside chores) browsing iTunes for apps. I have to admit, it’s a good thing it’s not MY iPod Touch. A couple of those could be serious time wasters for ME! (I have to add that the app he has looked forward to the most was the app for the scriptures! We did the scriptures and hymns first, and he was thrilled to take those to church on Sunday! Yes, I let him, with very strict instructions that he was ONLY to access the scriptures and hymns in church.)That night, we went to the Temple Square Chorale/Orchestra on Temple Square concert with Rara & Papa. Since we had to be in our seats quite early, I let Ryan take the iPod Touch to play before the concert started. He really had a tough time leaving it in his pocket the first half of the concert, but enjoyed the second half. Rara, Papa and I enjoyed the whole thing.Sunday (Ryan’s actual birthday) after church, we went to Rara & Papa’s house for Ryan’s birthday celebration. Marc & Frances made a variety of yummy gourmet pizzas, although Ryan stuck with his traditional “cheese and dough.” We had a lot of fun playing with Alice & Claire, as always. They wanted to keep singing "Happy!" Marc & Frances also gave Ry a cool new watch, which he wore to school today. Rara & Papa, in addition to contributing to the iPod, bought Ryan a basketball standard for their house. What a happy kid!There are two other kids in Ryan’s grade with birthdays within a day of Ry. One kid, whose birthday was Saturday, took his birthday treats on Friday, so I took Ryan’s today. The birthday kid gets to stand in front of the class with a birthday hat, and choose how they want the class to sing “Happy Birthday.” Ryan chose soprano, and fast. As I stood there with my regular camera, I wished that I had known to take my video camera. It was one of the most hysterical things I have ever seen!I think Ryan had a happy birthday weekend. He thanked me several times for specific things we did over the weekend. He is growing into a very grateful and thoughtful young man. I am lucky to be his mom.

2 comments:

~Cindy said...

Happy Birthday, Ryan! You have the best mom ever! I can't wait to see how tall you are when I come to SLC in July. :)

Cline Family said...

Happy Birthday Ryan!!!