Friday, December 18, 2009

The Third (?) Day of Christmas

My friend, Kim, has breast cancer. She had her mastectomy on Monday, and has been in the hospital all week. Her son, Isaac, and Ryan are good friends. It was Isaac’s birthday on Wednesday. We had the wonderful opportunity to help Isaac celebrate his birthday.

First let me say that this is one of the best things that could have happened to RYAN! In years past, I have done the “12 Days of Christmas” for him with smaller gifts, such as DVDs and figures that go along with the movies (Star Wars, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.). He is apparently now beyond those. Everything he has asked for this year is considerably more expensive. Last Saturday I gave him his monogrammed Tsunami warm up suit before his meet. Apparently he thought that was the first day of Christmas. He has been asking me EVERY DAY if I have something for him. On Wednesday, I told him that his “day of Christmas” was that we were going to take ISAAC to do fun things for his birthday, and that Ryan was not to ask me for a single thing. I knew it would be hard for him.

I picked the boys up from cub scouts (have I mentioned that I am now the cubmaster and no longer the Wolf den leader?), and we went home to play for a while. I asked Isaac where he wanted to go for his birthday dinner, and he chose McDonald’s. When we got there, the boys were the only kids there. They are both officially too tall to play in the “Play Place,” but since they were the only kids there, I told them they could play until other kids came. They loved it! As much as they try to pretend that they are getting older and more mature, they are still very much kids.
After about 30 minutes, three more families came. (Interestingly, only dads with kids. It was Wednesday night, you know.) We left, and went to Smith’s Marketplace. I told Isaac that he could choose something for his birthday for about $10-$12. He pondered and pondered. I suggested fun games, such as Apples to Apples, Boggle, or Clue, that he could play with his family once his mom felt better. Nope. He had his eye set on a whoopee cushion. I finally gave in (I’m sorry, Kim! Hopefully it won’t last long!) He picked out a couple of other things, which both boys were already having fun playing with there in the toy aisle.

Later that night, as Ryan was going to bed, I asked him how his “day of Christmas” was. He reported that it was a lot of fun, and that he was really glad that we could help Isaac have a fun birthday since his mom was in the hospital. I agree. Thanks, Kim, for the opportunity to do this for you and Isaac!

No comments: