Saturday, December 5, 2009

Mount Vernon Colonial Peanut & Chestnut Soup

As I mentioned in this post, when we were at Mount Vernon, we had the most amazing soup. Ryan even tried some! When we finished eating, the waiter asked us if we wanted the recipe. Absolutely!!! I had some time to make it this week, and it turned out to be really yummy!
Mount Vernon Colonial Peanut and Chestnut Soup

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 T. all-purpose flour (I actually used whole wheat flour)
1 qt. chicken broth (I used the low sodium kind)
1 qt. water
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts (chopped, if desired)
1/2 cup water chestnuts, chopped
1 T. Worcestershire sauce

Melt butter/margarine in large saucepan. Stir in flour to make a roux. Cook on medium heat while frequently stirring until the roux is light tan in color. Once the roux is ready, add chicken broth and water and bring to a boil. Then add peanut butter and Worcestershire sauce and stir. The longer it heats, the thicker it gets. Add peanuts and water chestnuts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My best friend and I had a great visit at Mt. Vernon and ended the day with the peanut chestnut soup at the Inn. I am happy to have found the recipe and plan to recreate it when my friend visits me in NJ. Thanks! RM

Anonymous said...

We just came back from Washington DC from over the President's Day weekend. On Monday, 2/21/2011, we went to Mt Vernon and had Peanut/Chestnut soup at the Inn, and it was the most amazing soup I ever had. I'm glad you're providing the recipe... I'm printing it out now, to give to my wife... I hope she's agreeable to make it for me

Anonymous said...

Just returned from vacation there and can't wait to make this at home! It never occurred to me to ask waitress for the recipe. Thanks! Valerie

Anonymous said...

I've been there too and loved the soup. Not sure what the trick is, but I just made this recipe and it doesn't taste anything like it did there! What did I miss?

Anonymous said...

Just had the peanut soup at Mount Vernon today and it was so good, I looked for a recipe and ran straight into this, the Mt. Vernon Inn's recipe.

Unknown said...

I noticed a missing ingredient. I sautéed 1 medium chopped onion in the butter prior to adding 1/4C. all purpose flour in the roux. I also used 2 Qts. low sodium chicken broth and omitted the water. After cooking, the only thing I found off-tasting was the sliced water chestnuts, which I only strained and didn't rinse (next time I will rinse them.)