Wednesday, September 9, 2009

09/09/09

Ok, I know the picture is weird, but it was the only one I could find of 09/09/09.

Of course, Ryan and I wanted to figure out something special to do for 09/09/09. Ryan’s request was to go see “9,” the new Tim Burton movie that came out today. With it being a school night, and figuring that everybody else would want to see it today, I decided against it. So I created some activities of our own to celebrate the day.Since Ryan is in 4th grade, he will be spending a lot of time on multiplication and division. I made flash cards of the 9 times tables, and we went through those a couple of times. I also made a “Math-o” sheet (Bingo with numbers) with the products of the 9 times tables in the boxes. We went through the flashcards again, and placed Hershey’s Kisses on each number until we reached “Math-o.” Of course, after Ryan went through it a couple of times, he wanted ME to do it! Good thing I remember the 9 times tables memory hook!We also thought it would be fun to make a list of all of the words we could think of that rhyme with “nine.” I won’t bore you with the list, but we listed 34 words!

I came up with a scavenger hunt for Ryan. He had to gather 9 pine needles, 9 small rocks, 9 grapes, 9 leaves, 9 things to write with, 9 action figures, 9 pieces of sports equipment, 9 pine cones, and 9 pieces of dog food. How long did it take him? EIGHT minutes. :)

Finally, we calmed things down a little bit by writing 9 things he is thankful for in his “O Remember, Remember” gratitude journal.

As we had prayers and did our nightly reading (scriptures, 1 chapter in whichever “Magic Tree House” book we’re on, and 4 pages in Harry Potter), Ryan grabbed my face with both of his hands and gave me 9 kisses. He told me how much fun his 9/9/09 day was – “even funner than going to the ‘9’ movie!” Oh, good!

Now…let’s see if I can post this at 9:09!

2 comments:

Cline Family said...

You are far too creative!

garrynkim said...

I wish you were my mom! Such fun, too much energy!! I love reading all your adventures.