Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Our New Addition

The day Ryan has been waiting for has finally arrived! Our new puppy, Copper, came home on Sunday. He was born on April 4, and had his shots on Saturday, May 16, at 6 weeks. The vet said that the six puppies were ready to go to their individual homes. So Sunday after church, we went and picked him up. We had a long visit with the breeders (we have been talking with them about weekly since we put a deposit on Copper a few weeks ago). They gave us all of Copper’s vaccination information and his pedigrees from both of his parents.

Here are a few pictures of Copper on his first day at home…I had been told that having a puppy is like having a newborn again. I think Sunday night was worse than having a newborn! I was up taking him out seven times, but I was awake almost all night. We are “crate training” Copper, so I put his crate next to my bed with the door facing me so he could see me. I kept the hall light on so he could see me. He still whined (and when I say “whined,” what I really mean is “howled”) almost all night. I think my longest stretch of sleep was about an hour and 15 minutes. It’s a good thing he’s so cute!

Our nights have become progressively better this week. Last night we were only up three times, with minimal whining between. My longest stretch of sleep was three hours. I’m crossing my fingers for continuous improvement.

Ryan has been so good to get up early to help. All three mornings so far, Ryan has gotten up between 6:00 and 6:30. He takes Copper for a walk around the block, and then gives Copper his breakfast. Ryan has his breakfast while Copper has his, and then Ryan gets ready for the day. Once he’s ready for school, he takes Copper for one more walk around the block. Then Copper and I take Ryan to school. Copper whines when Ryan gets out of the car. It’s cute to see how much they have already become buddies in just three days. Ryan is a very good puppy owner!

I keep hearing a lot of different advice, and I’m trying it all. Hopefully this phase of sleepless-night-puppyhood doesn’t last very long! Again, it’s a good thing he’s so cute, and that he puts such a smile on my sweet Ryan’s face.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lots of advice is good. i'm sure some of it is conflicting. like when we had ochre, some of it we just _couldn't_ do, it was good advice though. i told you about those monks of new skete books--the way they train dogs is to make them SO calm and so obedient you never have any problems. it's the being a consistent trainer i just couldn't do....and THEN we moved. oh well.
good luck with everything (including sleepless nights!)

Tracie said...

What's that Copper?? You want to come visit me, the boys and Wally in Florida?? SURE!

Awwwwwww... he is so absolutely adorable! He and Wally would have such a great time romping around together. Wally might even teach him to sleep :O)

Love, love, love your new addition! Congratulations!

Tracie