Monday, May 18, 2009

Fun Festivals

On Friday, May 15, I helped chaperone the 3rd grade field trip (on the bus) to the Living Traditions Festival at Washington Square (the block of the Salt Lake City & County Building). I spend every Friday morning with Ryan’s class, helping them with reading. The kids know me pretty well & some of them greet me with hugs when I go into the room.

The original plan for the field trip included four or five parents that had signed up to help chaperone. We learned literally at the last minute that two had backed out. Ryan’s teacher had all of the kids’ names listed on the board, divided into the five groups. As we heard about the two parents that weren’t coming, Ryan’s teacher rearranged the groups under the three chaperones. I guess he felt pretty confident that I could handle the boys – he gave me all of them but two!

I know all of the boys that were in my group pretty well, so most of them were responsive and respectful. We enjoyed going around to the different artisan booths and to the musical and dance performances on three different stages. (Yes, the carvings in the first picture are watermelon and canteloupe.) Two of the boys apparently weren’t used to sitting still at cultural events, because they complained during every musical/dance number, and asked me what time it was every few minutes. The highlight of their day was lunch! I was proud of Ryan and most of the other boys for enjoying and appreciating the things we saw and did, like making their own Japanese origami frogs.Later that afternoon, Ryan and I walked part of Bountiful Main Street looking at the art on the annual Chalk Art Festival. Can you believe, I didn't have my camera? We had a great time, just the two of us, walking and talking, after the craziness of the first part of the day.

No comments: