Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Age is Relative

One day last week, Marc mentioned to me that one of the NICU nurses was a graduate of Woods Cross High School. He said as they were talking and discovered that similarity, she asked him what year he graduated, with a comment that they were probably pretty close to the same age. Marc chuckled and told her that he was probably considerably older than she was. When he told her how “old” he is, she was appalled! She said he was about 10 years older than she thought he was!

Later that day as I went into the NICU and introduced myself as Marc’s sister, she asked if I also attended Woods Cross. I said, “Yes, but I’m Marc’s OLDER sister.” Her reply was, “YOU…ARE…NOT!” Frances and I both replied that I am. After a couple of minutes of working with the babies, she said, “How old ARE you?”

“I’m 40.”

“YOU…ARE…NOT!!!”

“I am. And I’ll be 41 next week.”

“YOU…WILL…NOT!!!”

After letting that apparently alarming fact sink in, she commented that Marc and I must have good genes. She said that she would have guessed both my age and Marc’s age at about 10 years younger. As I mentioned in this post, I hear that often, and it’s always nice to hear. One of my friends just posted on her blog that she recently had some Botox injections. I guess one of the advantages to being “fluffy” is that my fat fills in any potential wrinkles on my face and makes me look younger. :)

Last night we celebrated my birthday at Marc and Frances’ temporary home. Ryan and Rara and Papa came to get me when I was done with work. Ryan brought me a beautiful bouquet of red roses that he picked out himself. Then we went to Marc and Frances’ and had Chinese take-out and cheesecake. Yum! We took turns holding Claire the whole time. Alice is being released today. So, they weren’t born on my birthday, but they were both finally home on my birthday. What a great present for all of us!

2 comments:

SydneyMin said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Melanie!! Nice job on the "looking much younger" bit :)

Lauren said...

Happy birthday! What a great compliment about your age to be getting all the time and I totally agree that you have great genes. Hopefully those get passed to the girls! Everyone loves to be flattered!