Saturday, August 2, 2008

Lagoon – it’s what FUN is!

I love Lagoon. I always have. I probably always will. I mean, it’s no Magic Mountain or Disneyland, but it’s closer and cheaper.

When I was a kid, it was a fun place to go with my family, especially on “Stake Lagoon Day.” It was always fun to have a big dinner together with all of our friends and neighbors in one of the pavilions. We always enjoyed watching for our neighborhood friends and school friends that we hadn’t seen since school let out.

When I was a teenager and a young adult, it was a fun place to go on a date (or looking for a date). There were plenty of “scary” things to encourage chivalrous behavior from nearby guys.

Now that I’m a mom, I love taking Ryan there. I love watching his excitement about the rides, the games, and the food. (You know, Dippin’ Dots, churros, and cotton candy – things we only eat when we’re there.) No matter what else we do, we always play miniature golf, take a ride on the train, and ride the Carousel/Merry-Go-Round.
Ryan and I decided that our favorite ride is now the OdySea. Yes, you get really wet, but that’s part of the fun. We laughed the whole time we were on it. It was great!
But I have to admit, my very favorite part of Lagoon now as an adult is the “Guessing” game. Why? Both Ryan and I come away EXTREMELY happy every year! Ryan is happy because I consistently win stuffed animals for him. I am happy because “they” always guess my age at 8 to 10 years younger than I am! (For those of you who don’t play on a regular basis like I do, if “they” are within two years of your age, “they” win. If they are more than two years off, you win. Wait just a minute…would this be considered gambling? Uh oh!) This year, the guy guessed my age as 31. I could have kissed him!!! I’ll keep playing until they start guessing my age OLDER than I really am!

2 comments:

SydneyMin said...

What fun memories! I loved Lagoon as a kid and had very similar experiences as you on "stake lagoon day" etc :) My dad or mom would always leave the park a little before dinner and go somewhere to buy some KFC and bring back to Lagoon to feed us all! Thanks for the memories :)

Lauren said...

I'm glad that you liked Ryan's article. I could not help but share it with everyone. p.s. I am a sucker for amusement parks of all kinds. It has take me years but I think that Derrald is coming around to the joys as well.