Saturday, October 27, 2007

Instant Messenger

I am not an Instant Messenger novice. I have been using IM on a daily basis in my work environment for over three years. I work for an online institution, so my co-workers are spread throughout the United States. We use IM to communicate quickly on student issues, quick questions we have concerning policies and procedures, or just to check in with each other. I am also one of the facilitators for new faculty training at my institution. During training, I always share my IM ID with those in the training session and invite them to IM me whenever they have any questions.

In the context of this course, I have used IM with Dr. Green and several classmates. At first, I have to be honest, I’d look for classmates online and IM them to satisfy the requirement. After that initial use, there were several occasions when I had questions on something concerning the course, like a particular reading or assignment, that I could quickly ask a classmate who was online at the same time that I was. I almost always found at least one classmate online when I had a question, no matter what time of day or night.

I definitely like the ability to utilize IM as a communication tool. It is always quick and easy to use. It not only provides me with answers I need almost immediately, but gives me the opportunity to connect with my classmates and co-workers from my somewhat solitary home office.

5 comments:

Meredith said...

Melanie,
We must be in different time zones, because I don't think I've caught you online. I haven't connected with Dr. Green yet either, so I'm a bit jealous!

However, I have had continual dialogue with many of the East Coast classmates and have learned a tremendous amount of information from them. It has also made this class more interesting and less isolating getting to know some of the others on more of a personal level.

Shane said...

Hi Melanie--It has been a while since we connected! LOL--I have yet to contact Dr. Green also. I chalk that up to different time zones too. I do feel that Messenger has provided a personal touch during this quarter so far. I think the tool is invaluable for exactly the reasons you state--it provides a means for quick clarification by other students about class matters. I like the commiseration factor that Messenger provides also. That sounds negative but I don't mean it to sound as such. In all sincerity, it is very helpful to know that others are struggling with KAMs and life as a doctoral student. I have a better appreciation for what is expected of us and what lies ahead because of the personal communication that Messenger provides. It has taken some of the weight off my shoulders knowing that I am not alone so to speak.

Bill Goldstein said...

Mi Melanie!

I agree. IM has been a real help staying on top of the course. It's just the tool needed for collaboration for an online distance course. I can recall doing radio watches for the Coast Guard Auxiliary - eight hour stretches, all alone in the radio room. The radio there served the same purpose, it kept you in touch with the patrols and the base. Long distance communication is an interesting subject.

Bill

kristyheath said...

Hi Melanie,

I wish I would have seen you online more often...I too like the "easyness" of IM and it has been a great advantage to having access to all my classmates this quarter!

Kristy

Melanie said...

Meredith - we caught each other on IM tonight! YEA!!! I know I've definitely missed most of you easterners.

Shane - it has been a while. I hope you're feeling back to normal. I'm anxious to hear how your new course goes! I agree that sometimes just seeing a "me too" on IM helps us feel less alone in our struggles and frustrations.

Bill - It definitely helps dispel the feelings of isolation, doesn't it?

Kristy - I know you're another easterner with whom I've only connected once or twice through IM. It was fun finding out that we share a birthday! :)