Friday, February 17, 2012

Pamper Me!

When I started doing The Biggest Loser challenge, I decided on non-food rewards that I’d give myself at significant milestones. Friday, February 17 was my day to pamper myself to celebrate 10 pounds lost! Ryan didn’t have school, so he hung out at Rara & Papa’s house. Alice & Claire were also there, so they had a fun “cousins day.” I enjoyed getting my hair done and having a pedicure. It was wonderful!

Earlier in the week, after delivering the cake pops to Ryan’s friend, and sharing them with family members, we still had a lot left. I wasn’t going to have them in my house, since I’m working so hard on my Biggest Loser goals. I thought about who I could share them with, and felt that I should take some to a particular family in our neighborhood. They are fairly new, and although I have had a few interactions with them, I do not know them well. I knocked at the door, and the cute mom answered. I explained the cake pops to her, and told her that we wanted to share some with them. We chatted for a couple of minutes, and then I left. I honestly wondered what she thought about the impromptu gift. Here we hardly know each other, and I show up with treats.

I’ve been following her blog for a while, since we have a couple of common interests. I was touched (and relieved!) to read this a couple of days later:

While I was in the process of making the cake, my sweet neighbor showed up on my doorstep. She had made cake lollipops for Valentine's day and brought us some. She is so sweet! The note she wrote was so heart felt and made me feel so great! She is one of those people who is always happy for no reason. When we had the big wind storm, she was left without power for more than 72 hours, yet she was still happy and had a smile on her face. When we had the snow/rain storm, her basement flooded, yet there was still a smile on her face. She is such an example to me. I am so grateful for her. I don't know her all that well, but I can truly say that I love her.

I’m so glad I followed the prompting to take the treats to her family. I’m especially grateful that I had the opportunity to do something to lift someone else during the day I had set aside to pamper myself. It made my day that much better!

No comments: