Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Little Athlete is Being Recruited!

Many of you have seen the video that I made of one of Ryan’s swim meets. I posted it on Facebook last week. I tried to upload it to the blog, but it kept telling me it was loading, but never finished loading. I’ll try again…sometime.

A high school friend of mine is the meet director for swimming at the Utah Summer Games. He made a comment on my video encouraging Ryan to come and swim at the Summer Games. A few days later, HE CALLED ME! He said, “I would REALLY, REALLY like Ryan to come and swim in the Utah Summer Games!” Yes, Ryan is not even 11 years old, and he is being recruited. :)

We talked things through, and my friend really encouraged Ryan to swim in EVERY EVENT in his age group (a total of 15 events). He let me know that he is fairly confident that Ryan would medal if he participated in all of the events in his age group. He especially encouraged Ryan to swim in the 1500 event (mile). Ryan swims a mile almost every day in practice, but has not yet competed in that event.

When I talked to Ryan about it, I reminded him that there are even Opening Ceremonies, complete with the Athletes March. The athletes enter the stadium (by event) and walk around the track. When I told Ryan that, he said, “Oh, good! That will be good practice for the Olympics!” Gotta love that confidence!

2 comments:

Heather Dodd said...

That is so exciting for Ryan! I actually was at the Utah summer games for track in High school and medaled in the high jump, 2nd place. You get a really big medal. I still cherish that thing along with the rest, but it was one the most memorable meets I ever did. Good Luck to him, and I know he will have so much fun.. You will have to post and let us know how he did.

SydneyMin said...

Very cool for Ryan!!