Saturday, January 8, 2011

759 Down, 764 To Go!

Several months ago, Ryan and I started reading “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” together. It is the final book in the Harry Potter series. We had read about half of the book by the time that Part 1 of the movie came out in late November. I spent a few hours that weekend finishing the book. At that point, Ryan decided that he also wanted to finish it on his own. It is 759 pages. He was so motivated to read over the Christmas break! He spent much less time on video games than he likely would have over the break, since he was so determined to finish reading the book. His current term ends in a couple of weeks, and January 14 is the last day that the kids can take their Accelerated Reading (AR) tests for points toward their reading goals. Ryan’s goal was to take the AR test his first day back. He finished the book late last week, took the AR test this past Monday, and passed! He made his AR goal for the term! YEA!

I begin a new term (and my FINAL TERM of coursework) this coming Monday. I have two classes, and I understand that they truly are the most difficult courses in the program. I will be taking Advanced Instructional Design and Advanced Practicum in Research Design. The research class is designed to prepare students for the comprehensive exams and dissertation, so it is pretty heavy. The book in my instructional design course is 764 pages! I’m still waiting for the books for the other course.

There’s a lot of reading ahead, but if Ryan can read a 759 page book, so can I! :)